MEMORIZE: I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. 2 Luke 15:7
BIBLE READING LUKE 15:1-24
1. Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.
2. And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.
3. And he spake this parable unto them, saying,
4. What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
5. And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
6. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
7. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
8. Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?
9. And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
10. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
11. And he said, A certain man had two sons:
12. And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
13. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
14. And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.
15. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
16. And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.
17. And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18. I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
19. And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
20. And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
21. And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
22. But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
23. And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24. For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
Backsliding is the act of becoming slack in spiritual commitment and not being fervent in the things of God. It means turning back from following Gods ways and guidance, forsaking His laws and commandments (Isaiah 1:4).
It is a spiritual defection that grieves God, as it is a form of rebellion and adultery before Him (Jeremiah 3:8). Backsliders are likely to forget Gods mighty works in their lives, ignore His counsel, and reject His instruction (Psalms 78:11 Psalms 107:11, Isaiah 30:9).
Backsliders are children of God who had repented of their sinful acts and turned a new leaf, but then relapse into their former ungodly ways. Backsliding is, therefore, like abandoning ones faith.
As we have learnt from the lessons of the past three days, there is nothing glorious in backsliding. If anyone is in doubt, let the fellow find out from King Saul, who once prophesied by the Spirit of God but ended up being tormented by an evil spirit.
Backsliding is so terrible that it can invoke Gods anger. In 2 Samuel 12:25 , the Bible says, And he sent by the hand of Nathan the prophet; and he called his name Jedidiah, because of the Lord.
Jedidiah means beloved of the Lord. However, in 1 Kings 11:9, the Bible says, And the Lord was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the Lord God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice.
Backsliding ignited the anger of God against Solomon, despite His initial love and affection for him at birth and early life. God reacted to the backsliding of the nation of Israel similarly, according to Psalms 78:57-59 which says, But turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers… When God heard this, he was wroth, And greatly abhorred Israel.
To return to living a glorious life in Christ however, a backslider must do the following: Accept Jesus as personal Lord and Saviour, repent of and forsake every sin, and begin to testify to the mercy of God that restored him or her.
Have you fallen from glory to shame? Return to the Lord, and He will welcome you with open arms, as we saw in our Bible reading today. God bless you.
Father, please forgive me for backsliding and make me abide in You forever, in Jesus name.
BIBLE READING IN ONE YEAR: LEVITICUS 22:1-33, LEVITICUS 23:1-44
HYMN: WHEN WE WALK WITH THE LORD
1. When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way;
While we do His good will,
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey,
For there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
But to trust and obey.
2. Not a shadow can rise,
Not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear,
Not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.
3. Not a burden we bear,
Not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss,
Not a frown or a cross,
But is blest if we trust and obey.
4. But we never can prove
The delights of His love,
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favour He shows,
And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
5. Then in fellowship sweet
We will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
What He says we will do;
Where He sends, we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.
We can help! All you need to do is enter your email ID and follow the instructions!